EP002 – Start Your Own Craft Blog
Have you always wanted to start your own craft blog? Getting into blogging can be a little overwhelming if you’re a beginner but it really can be simple once you get the hang of it.
There are some free blogging platforms that you can use but if you want to start a serious blog, I always recommend NOT using a free service. You have no long term control over the content and technically you don’t own it.
What do I use for my blog? I use the following services:
- Go Daddy for a domain name
- Bluehost for my blog/website hosting
- WordPress for my blogging platform
- Mad Mimi for my email/newsletter service
This may seem like a lot but it really is easy. You can make it even easier by just using Bluehost for your webhost because they will give you a FREE domain name when you sign up. Let me explain the process a little better and tell you what you absolutely need to get started.
- In order to have a serious blog, where you own your site and all the content you put on there, you have to host it yourself. Do not sign up for a free blogging service such as Blogger or Tumblr. I personally use Bluehost as my hosting provider. I pay once a year and it is very affordable. New customers get a discount and usually pay at a rate of $3.95/month.
- When you sign up with Bluehost, they will give you a FREE domain name. I prefer to purchase my domains separately through Go Daddy but you don’t have to. If you are short on cash, use the free domain included with your hosting.
- Once your domain is set up with Bluehost, all you need to do is install WordPress from the control panel. It’s just that easy. The WordPress install is free.
- WordPress may seem difficult to use when just beginning but I recommend visiting some sites that have tutorials, or even better, watch as many YouTube videos as possible to get easy instructions for starting your blog. There are so many different ways to set up your blog on WordPress and it’s way beyond the scope of this post to go into it. Just know that it’s possible to have a totally unique site that functions the way you want it to when using this platform. You don’t get that when using a free blogging service.
- Sign up with Mad Mimi to help you build your email list. I have used this service for quite a while now and I simply love it. They offer a wide variety of services that are easy to use. I personally have an RSS feed set up for my blog that goes out on a regular schedule, drip campaigns and send out special announcement newsletters. You can have more than one email list, meaning you can use it for more than one site or newsletter. The best part about signing up with Mad Mimi is that you can start for FREE…. They allow you to have a fully functioning list until you reach a certain number, then you decide if you want to pay to continue to use the service. If you decide to not to, you can simply export your current email list to a different provider.
So, if you have around $80 to pay for an entire year of hosting, you can start your serious and professional blog today. That’s a great bargain! Don’t put it off any longer.
Do you have your own blog or have questions about blogging? Let me know below!
[pin_follow username="MyPoochieBaby" label="Follow Poochie Baby on Pinterest!"]
Get blog updates in you inbox!
Good luck with your blog!