Layered Frozen Pea Salad Recipe
This is by far the most requested side dish for all of my family holidays. I originally got this recipe from a co-worker’s wife back around 1992! I modified it just a little….. It may be a salad but it is decadent! I usually make this for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
The salad is made in two steps. So, if you plan to have it with your meal, you need to start the recipe the night before.
- Iceberg lettuce – 1 head
- Green onions (scallions) – 1 package
- Shredded Parmesan cheese – 1 8oz. package
- Sliced water chestnuts – 1 small can
- Small package of frozen peas (I prefer the petite peas)
- Hard boiled eggs – 4 or 5
- Bacon – 1 pound package, fried or crisped
Step 1 (Complete the evening before serving):
- You will need to crisp your lettuce then chop the entire head. Build this salad in a large, sealable container such as Tupperware.
- Chop up your green onions/scallions and add them to the lettuce.
- Drain the can of sliced water chestnuts and add them to the lettuce.
- Toss the salad in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Layer mayonnaise on top of the salad mixture evenly. This should be leveled out (like putting icing on top of a cake).
- Sprinkle the shredded Parmesan on top of the mayonnaise evenly.
- Sprinkle on the frozen peas over the top of the Parmesan evenly.
- Seal the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Step 2 (Complete approximately one hour before you are ready to serve):
- Chop up your hard boiled eggs and sprinkle evenly over the salad.
- Crumble your fried bacon evenly over the salad.
Ready to eat!
Sometimes I like to add some chopped avocado to the salad and sliced cherry tomatoes. It just depends on my mood at the time. They both go great when added to this salad with the boiled eggs and bacon.
Yummy! I know this is a salad but I can’t really say it is a ‘healthy’ salad! It is very filling and my daughter can it this as a meal in itself. Be sure to keep the container in the refrigerator because it does have mayonnaise…..
[pin_follow username="MyPoochieBaby" label="Follow Poochie Baby on Pinterest!"]
Join the Poochie Baby Newsletter. All new subscribers get free printables and 40% off their first order in the Poochie Baby store.